Saturday, August 18, 2012

Facebook is Life

Every day, when I take a glance at my Facebook Wall, I am (still) flabbergasted at the number of useless, tiresome, and ridiculous pictures and updates that are posted thereupon.  I have several "friends" who post so many pictures and posters that it takes me minutes of scrolling just to get to a more "useful" post, usually concerning the life-changing news that someone has checked in to a local restaurant.

While some people are serial "poster" posters (by "poster" I mean those cute pictures of animals or drawings of women from the 40's with funny captions below), there are others who seem to have fully immersed themselves into the Facebook lifestyle, and I wonder at the silliness of this fact.

These are the people who post every single minute of every thing they are doing,  into Facebook.  They go to a store, they check in.  They eat a hot dog, they take a picture and post it.  They poo in their bathroom, they describe the smell (and maybe even take a picture) in another post.  They sit at their kitchen table, another post.  On and on and $@($&!! on it goes.  A full day of useless cr-p.  And they do this nearly every day.  I cringe to think of what would happen if the person lost their phone (or whatever they're using) or if Facebook was off line for the day.

Now I'm not talking about vacation pictures, or pictures of an unusual food item, such as, live boa constrictor.  Those are fine.  The rest are boring, and no one cares about them.  I'm being serious.  No one cares.  Well, I suppose that's a lie.  I care because I'm annoyed about it, so at least there's that.

I've already somewhat discussed my distaste in the past for Mothers who are overzealous in their proclamations of greatness regarding their children, and here is now an almost full post dedicated to their ilk.
Being a Mother myself, I understand that (pretty much) our life of freedom and carefree rabble rousing is forfeit, once we have a child/children.  I know that there is usually not a lot of excitement to be had, and that most of the stuff we do is kid-related.

But there are occasions when we can be adults.  Adults with unique thoughts, dreams, and sometimes even potential for witty banter.  There are many Mothers out there who seem to have forgotten this fact.  They prove this daily by posting a million kid pictures per week, and telling us mostly useless and uninteresting stories of their child's adventure to the local sandbox.  And the tire swing.  And the mall.  And the bathroom.

Not only do they suffer from the notion that their child is the Greatest Kid on Earth, but they somehow think that we will believe it, too.  Because we saw the picture of him blowing a bubble.  And not even a big bubble or a cool bubble shaped like an elephant.

I'm sorry, folks, but there has got to be more to Life than this.  I know that Facebook is a "social networking" platform,  that this is allegedly how people are "social," and if it really annoys me so much, I should just quit it altogether.  Perhaps some day soon, I will.

After I've mastered level 23 of flax-growing and have won the "Farm of the Year" contest.

(And yes, Facebook games and the people who play them are evil.  I'm pretty sure of it.)

There is Life out there beyond Facebook, folks, go and enjoy some of it.  And I challenge you to keep at least some of it, all to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment