Monday, August 13, 2012

Facebook Would Be a Bad Dinner Companion

So, I was recently chatting with my brother in law (yes, this one's for you, Dave) about the evils of Facebook, and I mentioned that most people in Facebook have forsaken the golden rule of never discussing politics or religion in mixed company.  Of course, this rule generally applies to the dinner table, and yes, I know, our computers are not (supposed to be) our dinner tables, but there is some merit to this rule.

I never quite understood it when I was younger, but I certainly understood it as I grew older.  I do not necessarily consider myself overly passionate regarding any side of any fence in regard to religion nor politics.  I lean to the left on certain topics, and to the right on others.  They are personal beliefs, all of which make up part of who I am.  While I strongly disagree with the beliefs of some people, and I will always defend my own, I still like to think that I can reasonably agree to disagree if necessary, and leave it at that.

If you could view my Facebook Wall, you would see that it is chock full of anti-Obama and pro-Obama sentiment.  It is pro-military, pro-gay, anti-Democrat, anti-Republican, anti-Conservatism, pro-gun control, anti-gun control, anti-Men, pro-bada$$ attitudes, pro-hidden Jesus pictures, you name it.  I have a decidedly eclectic group of Friends and Family, with some very opposing opinions on display.

Now, the thing is, I pretty much know where most of my Facebook acquaintances stand in regard to the "big" issues.  I don't know if they know where I stand.  And I'm guessing they really don't care much where I stand, because they are too busy posting their opinions for The World of Facebook to see.  Of course, it's not anyone's business to know for whom I voted in past Presidential Elections; but I admit that if I see a poster (unwittingly) (or not) calling me a stupid a$$ anti-American for supporting said person, I am going to take offense.  It's fine if you dislike my choices, but name-calling is a little beneath us all, is it not?

I actually respect opposing views, and I think that reasonable debate and the freedom to speak on such topics are Rights that should be strongly defended.  However, I think that much of this can be done with a bit more class, and with respect for the fact that the people who oppose us have the same. Exact. Rights.

When people post strong worded pro- or anti- anything, I suspect that they're not taking into account the fact that their audience may have very different personal beliefs.  Personal beliefs which have just been denigrated and belittled in the pursuit of freedom of speech and expression of other personal beliefs.

I appreciate the fact that people have strong feelings on certain topics, but I feel that often, in an attempt to brandish their "righteous" opinions like a sword of justice, they are acting in an eerily similar manner to their alleged oppressors.  People who are often on the side of celebrating "differences" (I'm one of them, so don't even start) are usually only supporting the differences that they agree with.  If people expect others to be open-minded and allow for our beautiful and unique beliefs as citizens to be accepted, it should follow that the "others" (the opposing side) are included in that world of citizens.

So, my fellow Facebook friends, think twice before you post that political or religious themed poster on your Wall.  If you really liked me, and really knew me, you wouldn't call me (to my face) a stupid-a$$ anti-American or a closed-minded bigot or suggest that I should burn in Hell or die of a disfiguring disease because I prefer A to B.  Would you?  Do you even know what I believe in?

I'm not talking here about minority versus majority, who is in power, and some of the unfair and outdated laws and rules that we have in this country.  That's for some other time.  I'm simply talking about realizing the possibly unintended effects of what you post in Facebook.  And also the strong potential for you to be the recipient of a cold shoulder or two at your next dinner party.

Think, people.




No comments:

Post a Comment