Saturday, June 16, 2012

Everyday Dishonesty

As I was writing my angry post regarding people who b-tch the loudest, it brought to mind some experiences I had while working in retail.

While I greatly enjoyed my job, I became sickeningly depressed over the years with the lack of honesty which seemed so prevalent in mankind.  The number of people who would lie to your face just to save a buck was astonishing.  I suspect that this stuff is done so often, that most don't even consider it dishonesty, which makes it even more disconcerting.

I have an acquaintance with whom I now refuse to shop, because I'm afraid that some day we'll either be arrested, or that God will strike me down for bearing witness to dishonest shopping and return practices.  This acquaintance is famous for getting great deals when shopping.  I discovered that the "great deals" were the result of buying items at full price, waiting until the end of season, purchasing the same item at 75% discount, then returning the item with the original, full price paid receipt.

It doesn't matter what the store policy is on returned items, the fact is, if you b-tch loudly enough, you will get your way.  I'm not talking about a legitimate situation, where the original item was ill fitting, or received as a gift.  When I asked her to explain her reasoning, she said that it's not "fair" that she had to pay full price, and that the store is making millions and this is not going to bankrupt them.  Le sigh.

Sadly, I think this is not an uncommon practice.

When I was working in retail, there was a famous story which circulated in my department regarding a woman who had returned a boys' suit, which had been intended for her son's First Holy Communion.  When it was pointed out to her that the suit had been altered and that there were no tags intact, she demanded to see the floor manager.  After threatening to have the sales associate fired, threatening to take her business elsewhere, and insisting that the suit had never been worn, she received reimbursement for the suit.  After she left, when the associate was arranging for the suit to be returned or discarded (it couldn't be placed on the rack, because it had not only been worn, but had been altered), she found a Polaroid picture in the pocket of the suit.  The picture was, of course, of a little boy, angelically posing in a church, wearing the damned suit.  I mean, the poetry of that.  Not only did the woman lie, but she was lying about something indirectly involved with a Sacrament of the Church.  What a shining example to set!

Or how about the man who brought in a large pile of clothing which had been unceremoniously dumped into a shopping bag, and looked like it hadn't been touched.  He claimed that the items were received for his daughter's 6th birthday, and, uhhh, didn't fit.  The items were all high ticket, designer items (never on sale), ranged in size from toddler to teenager, and included female and male clothing items.  I'm not sure why someone would think that a size 18 pair of young men's Guess Jeans would be appropriate for a 6 year old girl, but, what do I know.  Someone wouldn't blatantly lie about this stuff, would they? (in case you didn't put  two and two together, the returned items were suspected as stolen goods)

I'm guessing that these are the same people who speed down the shoulder of a crowded road and then cut you off at the head of the line when the light turns green.  Or the ones who make their own, new line, when the doors of a store are about to open at 5 a.m. on black Friday, and there are 50 other people who have been waiting in the real line, for 3 hours, just to buy a damned Furby.  Or the ones who claim severe medical injury and mental anguish from a fender bender incurred in a drive through.  Or the ones who accidentally break or mishandle an item after using it, and insist that there is a manufacturer default.  Maybe even sue the company.

I'd bet five bucks that you all know someone who has seen or done one of these things.  Maybe you've even done it, yourself (shame, shame!).  Now I know that some of this is a result of feelings that we're being cheated, and now it's time to stick it to the Man.  Some of this is a result of being desperate, and having no other way to put bread on the table (my fantasy excuse for people who steal).  Whatever the reason, it's dishonesty, pure and simple.

I happen to be one of those people who will return to a cashier if they have given me the incorrect change, in my favor.  I'm not just talking about a $10 difference, I'm talking about even if it's four cents.  Some people have a "limit" that they impose for this situation; for example, if it's less than 5 cents, they're not going to bother.  Some people have no limit, and figure it's their lucky day if they have an extra 10 bucks in their pocket.  Too bad, so sad, for the millionaire store owner.  Now, the problem with this is that 'the Man' is not getting stuck here.  You know who gets stuck?  The single Mother cashier who is working three jobs and could be fired for a drawer shortage.  Or the young kid working his way through college.  We're stickin' it to the exact people who we claim to be.  

Yes, there is the argument that if a person makes an error, there should be retribution.  But I feel that to knowingly participate in someone's downfall just because you gain to profit- that's bad.  I think it's time that we all think a little more honestly, the next time we think we've gotten lucky or are getting "what we deserve."
Ever wonder why insurance rates are so high?  Think fraud.  We're stickin' it to ourselves, my friends.  And that's just... dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment